Robert has safely returned to Everest Base Camp and is presently waiting on the weather. There are 80 mph winds up high and it is not safe for anyone to consider a summit attempt at this time.
There may be one glimmer of hope for a summit attempt on May 17 . If this window remains open, Robert and Nima will move up to Camp 1 on the 13th and then up to Camp 2 on the 14th. This will put them in a good position to make a summit attempt on the 17th. If the weather window closes the next possible summit attempt will be over a week away.
Keeping busy and keeping warm are the main challenges for today. He has found a new hobby, searching the rocks around camp for interesting items. So far he has found a pair of 30 year old eye glasses. The late afternoons and evenings prove to be very chilly and do not allow for outdoor explorations. Robert has mostly gone back into his tent to read, work puzzles and sudokos. There are also plenty of movies and books in the media tent. Robert is extremely thankful for intermittent cell phone coverage which allows him to read texts from friends and family.