World's Top Motorcycle Dealer

World's Top Motorcycle Dealer
Prayer flags above Dingboche. Lhotse and Island Peak in the background.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A hard day on my climb


Last Wednesday was one of the harder days of my climb and I was still in Nebraska. What? That's the day Patty and Caelen took me to the airport and I said goodbye for 10 weeks. I never enjoy that part of the climb and this time was no better. 

My flight took me from Omaha to Chicago to Abu Dhabi where I had an 18 hour layover (my choice). I enjoyed a nice sleep there and in the morning I walked for a couple of hours along the waterfront and also in the city. That afternoon (Friday by now) I flew to Kathamandu and went to the hotel. After a good night's sleep I awoke feeling ready to go. I gathered up our 8 kids plus some other friends and we went to the Hyatt for a nice lunch and an afternoon of swimming. Everyone had a fantastic time together. I love being with all of them.

Sunday through Tuesday have been a whirlwind of activities - last minute shopping (mostly foods), enjoying my favorite restaurants, seeing old friends, etc. One of the highlights was greeting Scott at the airport on Monday morning and showing him "my" town. He landed at 7 am and in spite of having virtually no sleep for 36+ hours, we hit the ground running. We ran all around Kathmandu and then in the afternoon were joined by another team member and went to see my kids for a couple of hours. Afterwards we went to one of the famous Bhuddist stupas (Bhodanath Stupa) and then enjoyed a great dinner. I don't know how Scott didn't fall asleep a dozen times!

On Tuesday we finished up our errands and then were required to meet with the Ministry of Tourism for a briefing on the new rules relating to garbage on the mountain. Finally we had a very nice group dinner and I finished packing my two oversized duffel bags and went to bed. 

Today I am playing tour guide and will be taking several of the team to see some of the sights and then I will spend the afternoon with my kids again. 

We leave early tomorrow morning for Lukla and then our trek begins. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Robert,
    I teach 7th grade English in Lincoln at Lefler Middle School (and also drive or run by Star City Motorsports nearly every day, as I live on that side of town.) My classes are currently in the middle of reading "Peak" by Roland Smith, and "Everest: The Summit" by Gordon Korman. I am glad that you are climbing, and hope that you will be updating your blog as frequently as I've noticed you've done in years past. I say this because I hope to use your blog as a teaching tool for my students, as we will be "following" you in your progress up the mountain this year. Hopefully, we will be able to help you by giving you encouragement in your progress along the way by sending positive vibes from the other side of the world. You will have at least 75 cheerleaders sitting in my classroom watching you ascend. I've also noticed in your last two blog posts that you reference your friend Scott, who is an orthopedic surgeon from Lincoln accompanying you to base camp. May I ask what Scott's last name is? I ask because my wife is an RN on the ortho floor at St. Elizabeth's, and my mom works in trauma at Bryan West, so in all likelihood they would know one another. Good luck on your climb!
    Dan Bax and Lefler Middle School 7th Graders
    Lincoln, NE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert - I wanted to invite you to speak at a retreat we are having this July in Nebraska City. When you return if you could get back to me I'd appreciate it - thank you.

    Bobbie Connolly
    bobbie.connolly@phvne.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bobbie. There is no doubt in my mind that I will not remember your request when I get home and walk into the maelstrom of paperwork and tyranny of the urgent awaiting me. Please send me an email in a couple of weeks. Thanks, Robert. Heliskier402@aol.com

      Delete