World's Top Motorcycle Dealer

World's Top Motorcycle Dealer
Prayer flags above Dingboche. Lhotse and Island Peak in the background.

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Enjoying a little solitude in the Khumbu

Due to some changes in plans by others on our team I find myself trekking to Everest Base Camp (EBC) by myself. I’ve been here many times and am actually enjoying not needing to worry about anyone else’s schedule.

It was time to hit the trail after two relaxing days in Namche allowing my body to start acclimatizing. I walked first to Tengboche at 12,500’ and had a good lunch in their famous bakery. It was then a quick 20 minute walk down to Debuche. I slept there then walked the following day to Pheriche at 14,000’.

I decided to play it safe and sleep two nights here. This is the downside of traveling alone as the downtime can be a little boring. I have been lucky to meet some nice people and had dinner with two interesting people from New Zealand.

There is one piece of sad news. This morning a fixed wing plane was taking off from the Lukla airport when something went wrong and it veered into a helicopter preparing to take off. Surprisingly only three people were killed when it could have been five times that amount. There are always tons of people hanging around this extremely busy airport/heliport, not to mention the passengers and crews. By a stroke of good fortune there were no passengers on the plane. My condolences to everyone involved in this tragedy.





No comments:

Post a Comment