World's Top Motorcycle Dealer

World's Top Motorcycle Dealer
Prayer flags above Dingboche. Lhotse and Island Peak in the background.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Heading to Nepal for a climb of Manaslu

I have not given up on my quest to climb Mt Everest, and as a result I decided it would not only be good practice and experience to do another big mountain beforehand, but it would also be good for my confidence. So, I am signed up for a climb of Manaslu which at about 26,800 feet is the eighth highest peak in the world. It is in Nepal between Kathmandu and the Annapurna region.

Our family spent the last few days in San Diego getting both of our kids organized to start university there and then on Monday Patty drove me to San Juan Capistrano to meet John Dahlem a friend from last year's Everest climb who then took me to his home for a great meal with his wife Sioux and then on to LAX later in the evening.

Thanks to tons of frequent flyer miles, I flew first class to Hong Kong where I am right now and later this afternoon I head to Kathmandu, arriving at 10:15 pm. I love Kathmandu and Nepal and am excited to return. It is a very fun and vibrant place that everyone owes to themselves to experience.

I will be climbing with Altitude Junkies and one of my team mates (Karel Masek) was with me on Everest last year. Both of us are bringing ski equipment and are hoping to find a few safe turns somewhere on the mountain.

Patty will be updating the blog for me as I either call or send her short emails using the group's sat phone and satellite internet connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment