World's Top Motorcycle Dealer

World's Top Motorcycle Dealer
Prayer flags above Dingboche. Lhotse and Island Peak in the background.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Nepal 2011  Manaslu, 8th highest peak in the world
Journal Entry 6

We have just returned from our first trip to Camp 2. The Base Camp to Camp 1 portion was done on Friday and wasn't too hard.  I spent 3 1/2 hours and the climb is about 2,800 feet. Typical for me, I didn't sleep well and had a hard time eating.

Saturday was a whole different story in spite of the climb only being 2,000 feet.  The climb was very steep up a number of fixed lines and also wandered around some big crevasses and seracs.  I was hungry and dehydrated and that didn't help. It was just a tough day.  I worked at it for 6 1/2 hours and was truly spent upon arrival. Fortunately my tent mate had made a freeze dried meal and I ate my portion and later had two cups of soup. I still went to bed hungry but unable to eat or drink anything more.  I tossed and turned all night with periodic breathing and a headache.  To top it off, I woke up at 3 a.m. to make a hasty exit out of the tent to throw up. Not good!  Everyone else was suffering so we cancelled a planned "touch and go" to Camp 3 and came back to base camp.

I have left my skis at Camp 2 and intend to continue carrying them up as we make our summit bid, very tentatively scheduled for some time around the end of the month, weather depending.

Now that we are back at base camp (a "mere" 16,000 feet), I  am feeling great and eating and drinking to make up for the last two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment